The Queen’s Nursing Institute (QNI), a community nursing charity, has published the first ever standards for nurses working in residential homes.
The standards are comprised of a set of benchmarks that can be used to assess the skills and knowledge that the Registered Nurse will need to demonstrate in the care home setting.
According to QNI, the care required by residents is becoming more complex and technologically sophisticated, which requires registered nursing staff to be skilled, knowledgeable and competent in caring for care residents.
The standards place focus upon:
- Developing person-centred care
- Enabling shared decision making
- Demonstrating effective communication skills
- Listening with respect and compassion
- Promoting confident management of complex interpersonal issues and conflicts between residents, families, care workers and carers
The QNI was commissioned by NHS England and NHS Improvement to develop the new standards, alongside Skills for Care.